Thursday, February 18, 2010

Week 19

Last night I started thinking about how I am going to deal with the monotony of the weather which is often an issue in Missouri.  When I started this project it was during a dramatic seasonal change but that is the exception rather than the rule with the weather here.  After awhile even I get tired of my own complaining. So, with that in mind I will focus on the positive side of things in future postings while keeping the option open for the occasional kvetching.

We live in a wonderful world full of wonderful things.  Out of all the things that we, humans, have contributed there are two things that stand out in my mind:  institutions of higher learning and libraries.  Those two innovations make up for a lot of sins and mischief that we have otherwise perpetrated on ourself as well as the earth.  So, it is a double privilege to be involved intimately with an institution of higher learning on a professional level, and to be able to experience the campus where I work in all kinds of weather.  Visiting a college campus always infuses me with a sense of hope if only I remember to notice! Sometimes I forget to pay attention to that.

This past week while attending a funeral the snow was coming down.  In that utterly sad occasion the snow provided a poetic backdrop as the falling flakes forced me to look up into heaven. In a word it was beautiful despite the sadness of the occasion.  The change and variation we have in weather here is a blessing.  Lets count it as such.

Here is the picture for this week:

No comments:

Post a Comment